Gregory V. Novak
Washington, D.C. Office
Gregory V. Novak serves
as national intellectual property counsel to a number of publicly traded
corporations. He also manages Novak Druce’s
industry-leading patent reexamination practice.
Mr. Novak has acted as lead counsel in more than 60 intellectual property-related cases, both as plaintiff's counsel and defendant's counsel. He has advised in over 200 patent reexaminations. Under the guidance of Mr. Novak, Novak Druce has led reexaminations in the US Patent and Trademark Office’s Central Reexamination Unit (CRU) with impressive results, including the reexaminations of patents asserted in the infamous infringement case of NTP v. Research in Motion Limited (RIM). Novak Druce’s involvement led to an excess of 2100 claims rejected in the asserted patents resulting in the most claims ever rejected by the CRU to this date.
In 2009, Mr. Novak launched the Novak Druce Centre for Professional Service Firms at the University of Oxford’s Saïd Business School. Mr. Novak earned an MBA from the Saïd Business School, University of Oxford where he was a member of Hertford College. He is the first graduate of Oxford’s business school to sponsor a research center.
In addition to sponsoring the Novak Druce Centre, Mr. Novak sits on the Business Advisory Council at Oxford, is a board member of the Saïd Business School and is Chairman of the Global Saïd Business School Alumni Association. Mr. Novak is also an active alum of Rice University where he is a Community Associate at Will Rice College, sits on the Annual Fund Committee and is a Fundraising Challenge sponsor of two colleges. Mr. Novak also sits on the board of the Max Planck Institute.
- Patent Reexaminations
- Patent Prosecution
- Japanese Practice
- Life Sciences
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Northern District of Texas
- U.S. Western District of Texas
- U.S. District of Maine
- U.S. District of Arizona
- U.S. District of Connecticut
- Texas Tech University School of Law, J.D.
- University of Oxford, Hertford College, Said Business School, M.B.A
- Rice University, B.S.
- American International Property Law Association, Co-Chair Intellectual Property Value Generation and Extraction; Subcommittee of the Management of Intellectual Property Assets Committee
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- International Trademark Association