William R. Towns
William R. Towns is an experienced attorney, mediator, and arbitrator. An AV-rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell with over twenty-five years of federal and state court experience, Mr. Towns' areas of concentration in his litigation and dispute resolution practice include intellectual property, with an emphasis on disputes involving trademarks, domain names, unfair competition, trade secrets and copyrights, as well as complex business and commercial litigation, and other international and transnational disputes.
Mr. Towns ADR practice focuses on mediation, arbitration and collaborative law. Mr. Towns is a WIPO Approved Neutral, and has served as a WIPO Domain Name Dispute Resolution Panelist since 2003. He is also a member of the INTA Panel of Neutrals. He is included in the AIPLA Arbitration and Mediation Registry, and serves on INTA’s Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee (2010-2011 Term). Mr. Towns also is a Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, and has served on the Advisory Board of Directors to the Global Collaborative Law Council, in which he remains active.
Mr. Towns serves as an Adjunct Professor of Law at St. Mary’s University Law School in San Antonio, Texas, where he teaches courses in International Business Transactions and International Intellectual Property.
Publications and Speeches
A "How to Do" in Non-Family Civil Cases, Cutting Edge Issues and Tools in ADR, State Bar of Texas ADR Section Annual Meeting, October 28, 2005.
Practical Issues to be Faced in Designing a Collaborative Process, International Mediation Interest Group Meeting at WIPO, September 7, 2009.
Registrant Knowledge, WIPO Conference: 10 Years UDRP – What’s Next?, October 12, 2009.
U.S. Contingency Fees-A Level Playing Field? WIPO Magazine Special Edition: IP Litigation Costs. February 2010-No. 1. Page 3.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Eastern District of of Texas
- U.S. Northern District of of Texas
- U.S. Southern District of Texas
- U.S. Western District of Texas
- University of Houston Law School, J.D. cum laude
- University of Texas, B.A. Government
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- AIPLIA Arbitration and Mediation Registry
- Association of Attorney-Mediators
- Bar Association of the Fifth Federal Circuit
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb)
- Federal Bar Association
- International Trademark Association
- International Trademark Association (INTA) Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee, Neutrals Standards & Measurement Subcommitee (2010-2012)
- International Trademark Association (INTA) Panel of Neutrals
- Maritime Law Association of the United States
- State Bar of Texas
- Texas Association of Mediators
- Global Collaborative Law Council
- WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center: Approved Neutral and DNDR Panelist